Friday November 20, 2015
The first day of winter is on December 22. Here are several tips to help you winterize your home to ensure it is ready for winter.
- Bedding – Swap out our cooler linens and comforters for thicker ones. This will help you keep warm instead of having to turn up the heat.
- Detectors – Check your carbon monoxide detectors and smoke detectors to ensure they are working properly. If necessary, change batteries.
- Filters – These should be replaced at least every three months.
- Fireplace safety – Our new bern nc homes for sale come with a gas fireplaces. Though they are very low maintenance, it is still a good idea to have your gas fireplace inspected annually by a licensed contractor. This will make sure it is in good operating order before you light it up for the first time this season.
- Gutters – Leaves are falling and the last thing you want is to get your gutters filled up. Inspect your gutters for leaves, sticks and debris to ensure water can flow freely and doesn’t divert onto the roof or siding. This can cause mold and damage your shingles or paint.
- Outdoor décor – Pack up and store your outdoor décor and furniture. This will help to protect your furniture from the winter weather elements. Clean your décor and furniture before putting them up.
- Thermostat – Your thermostat to 68 degrees Fahrenheit or lower. This will help you conserve energy during the winter months. You can stay warm by layering, wearing socks and using throw blankets.
- Water hose – Disconnect your exterior water hose and drain the remaining water in the faucet so that it doesn’t burst from the cold weather or ice.
We would like to hear from our new bern nc homes for sale customers. How do you plan on winterizing your home? Let us know.
This post was written by JC Jackson Builders