Thursday December 22, 2016
Practice safe stovetop cooking habits this holiday season with these stovetop fire safety tips.
- Though this may seem like a no brainer you should never leave the kitchen unattended while cooking. If for any reason you have to leave the kitchen make sure you turn off your stove and place your pot on a cool, unused burner.
- Limit the number of people you have in the kitchen while cooking. Too many people in the kitchen can lead to distractions and unnecessary problems. The open floor plan designs found in many of our King Creek at Cherry Branch homes in Havelock NC are conducive to allowing the cook to be able to converse with people in other rooms.
- Remove any loose fitting jewelry, roll up your sleeves, wear tight fitting clothing, and pull your hair back to avoid any of these catching fire.
- Keep your stovetop clear of items that can easily catch fire on your stove top such as dish towels, oven mitts, paper towels, etc.
- Make sure all of your pot and pan handles are turned inwards to the center of your stove so that they aren’t knocked off accidentally.
- Never leave an empty pot or pan on a hot burner.
- Wipe down your stovetop after each use. A dirty stove from food particles and grease residue can cause a fire.
- Keep a fire extinguisher handy and make sure your smoke detectors are working properly.
- Never dispose of hot grease in a garbage can. Wait until it cools off and put in an old aluminum food can.
We hope these tips will keep you and yours safe in the kitchen. Happy cooking and happy holidays from JC Jackson, your premier homes in Havelock NC builder!
This post was written by JC Jackson Builders